Friday, May 13, 2011

Dinner with Wendy

Last night, Christina and I had dinner with Wendy from the Netherlands. She prepared spaghetti for us in her dorm 135. We're 139; so we're very close! Dinner was amazing and her apartment looks much more homey than ours. Her parents drove her down here to help her move in, and she was able to pack quite a bit more. She had extra furniture, candles, lamps... we'll definitely be hanging over at her place more often than ours. Her roommate Marije (pronounced similar to Mariah) is from the Netherlands also. So when she moves in they'll probably have even more of a home.

Dinner was so interesting talking about religion, politics, cultures, and diversity with her. Even Christina and I differed in many of our views being from different parts of America. I also had to introduce them to a few southern words... including "piddlefartin' around" and "pole cat." If you think of other ones let me know. Those just came to me first for some odd reason. Christina says many Californians say "hella" instead of "a lot." Wendy on the other hand was teaching us their language which sounds a lot like your haucking up a phlegm ball. (sp? on hauck?)

After dinner Wendy brought out some Dutch snacks. Black liquorice is very popular there. Now, I don't like any kind of liquorice in the states, but I knew I should try it. Well, my face was probably very horrible.... I'm sorry but it was disgusting! In the form of a jelly cough drop, not even the twisted straw. Then, I chased it down with a Dutch stroopwafel. Now that was delicious! Here's a picture.
It had a cinnamon taste inside. It was very good. We will definitely be buying more of those at the grocery next time. So, then... she taught us a German card game, well we think it's German called Ligretto. It was a lot of fun once we figured it all out. Ligretto is very similar to Speed. Maybe I'll be able to order the game online once I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment