Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flight 6579, would you please let me exit the plane!!

Well, I did pretty well today about staying calm... It took about 23 tic tacs. I had a big crew drop me off in the airport. I said my goodbyes to Dad, Kim, Aly, Mom and Tommy and headed toward my first challenge. Security. I was actually pretty proud of getting through and to my gate so quickly. I guess I was just excited about it being the first thing I'd done on my own in this journey. Maria posted this on Facebook after I was texting her at the gate to Chicago.

She's a mess! I can't wait to be her roomie in the fall!

So the first flight from Nashville to Copenhagen was delayed from 5:59pm to 6:40pm. Well, 6:40pm rolls around and they announce that take off will be delayed further to 8:04pm. At this point, I remain fairly calm, because I know I'll have about 45 minutes once I land to catch my next flight. Then, I talked to the guy at the counter, and he explains that I will need to be running in order to make it. I was pretty worried, but what can you do really besides try to make the flight.

We arrived in Chicago at 9:15pm. However, the passengers were not able to exit the plane until 11:15pm. We seriously just sat in a parked plane for 2 hours!! Chicago was backed up due to planes icing over at the gates. There was also a shortage of gates available and when we arrived we were fourth in line.

Obviously, I didn't make my flight. Fortunately, as soon as I landed I found the first United Airlines agent I could, and he set me up with a complimentary hotel room, $15 meal voucher, and booked me my flights for tomorrow. See, there is only one flight from Chicago to Copenhagen per day, and it's always at 10:05pm.

So tomorrow I'll be in the windy city all day! It's actually really, really cold. Maybe even colder than Denmark will be. Oh! That was another thing. I'd dressed for Denmark. After four hours on a plane I was sweating like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment