Sunday, April 10, 2011

The weeks are flying by... only 95 days til I'm back home

We sure are having a good time over here. I love all of our weekly get togethers and parties! We have such a strong community not just in Skjoldhoj, but with our TV class too.
This week has flown by so quickly. I'm afraid they will all be speeding up very soon, because we just keep getting busier both with school and our social lives.
Thursday, my friend from Tennessee came to visit me! Brian is studying abroad in Germany this semester until July. But his housing doesn't start 'til March 1st. Fortunately, for him, Wendy lent us a massive air mattress. So he'll have a home in Aarhus 'til Tuesday. I went to meet him at the train station at 3pm. Then, he texts me that the Germans are striking, and he wouldn't be there 'til 9pm. He had quite a long day! Not long enough to stop us from going out to the Skjoldhoj Bar for Karaoke night though. I will have Vanessa Carlton's "Thousand Miles" stuck in my head for a little while now.
Yesterday was a very exciting day for Christina and I. Not only did we find the best store ever, Bilka... but Kim discovered Allrecipes.com for us. We've been putting "skillet" in the search ending and finding all sorts of new things to try in our mini (only 2 stove eyes to work with) kitchenette. Last night, we prepared Chicken Marsalla. It was restaurant worthy for sure :)
Not going to lie, when we discovered Bilka (a combination between the new Kroger Markets, Target, a liquor store, and Bed Bath & Beyond)... we were pretty frustrated with our mentors Niklas and Mette. They just dropped us in the middle of the city centre, said good luck, and pointed us to our bus stop. We ran around that center for 2 days finding everything. All that time, we could have just gone to one store and gotten everything we could possibly need for dirt cheap. Plus, it's only a 15 min. walk from where we live. I know one thing is for sure. If I have the opportunity to be a peer mentor for international students when I come back, I'll put in more effort than these guys. I guess 50 students can keep 2 people busy and all... but come on!

Last night, we went to Robert's house to enjoy drinks and snacks at Robert's apartment...which by the way is soooo much nicer than the unit we live in. All the Swedes decided to find their own housing instead of letting the university do it for them. That might have been a wise choice although I am glad we're kind of all here together. Robert's was really fun. I tried a new wine that comes from tree sap. I seriously felt like I'd licked the bark off a tree when I sipped it! It was very unique, and I still can't decide if I liked it or not.
The preparty was a big hit, but then it was off to school! See there was a Danish band playing in our cantina. It's still so weird to me to see people drinking and dancing inside of our school. It was like they'd turned our cafeteria into a club. Except not many people were dancing. For some reason they wrote "Tigermis" on our hands. Apparently, our phrase "I thought I saw a pussycat" They have one referring to a Tiger, hence the "Tigermis." I still don't understand why they wrote that on our hands, but this morning I woke up with it smeared across my face... grrreat.
Today, is another big interview. We have our case study today at 2pm with a lesbian couple that was inseminated and now have a child from an anonymous donor. Monday, we'll be all done with our shooting and on to editing and writing. Before you know it I'll be in Oslo working on our next assignment! We're hoping for polar bears... we'll see if we can make something happen.
P.S. Booked my tickets to Barcelona!! We will be enjoying the many tapas bars and sangria the first weekend of April. Can't wait to go somewhere warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment