Saturday, May 7, 2011

Inspired on the 1st day


Today was the first day of school, and Christina and I were nothing short of ecstatic. It felt like the first day of Kindergarten. We met our friends at the bus stop at 9:05 and took a snapshot. Well I let the photojournalists do it. I'll post their pics as soon as they've posted them on Facebook. They are all so talented. The majority of our group living together are in the TV course or the photo one. It's a really good mix. People come from Canada, Germany, Egypt, Minnesota, California, Holland, Latvia, Slovakia Republic, Nepal, London, Sweden, Portugal, Australia and Missouri. That's only to name the ones I live next to. I believe there are over 25 countries represented here at the Danish School of Media and Journalism.
.
But our small group has decided to do something very special to set ourselves apart. We will be producing our own side project during the semester aimed for prospective international students at DSMJ. There will be a short film as well as a website featuring anything a student could possibly want to know about what to expect from the program, the city, and the entire experience abroad. We've decided to meet every Wednesday to add onto our project. It's very exciting to dive into journalism and producing again. Having such a long break was making me crave school again... or at least some kind of project so as not to forget any of the skills I've learned over the past 3 years.
.
Working with such talented people from all around the world will be such an amazing learning experience, and I cannot wait to get this project started.
.
Today was a very short day, but definitely inspiring. The teachers introduced the programs, teaching methods and took us on a tour of the campus. This school is probably the size of Tullahoma High School...maybe smaller. For once, I'm not too worried about getting lost. When the teacher spoke, he reminded me so much of previous teachers like Dr. Sawyer and Bernardo who inspired me from the very beginning to become a journalist. While I'm studying here I want to reach my greatest potential. I want to learn different views and methods. I want to become well-rounded and frankly, I want to set myself miles apart from the other students in my graduating class looking for jobs out of college. I feel like I'm in the best place I can be to learn how to achieve that type of success. Being here has made me consider possibly working as an international journalist someday.
.
It's so interesting that with every student I meet, we may come from opposite sides of the world and have entirely different opinions and beliefs, but we are the same. We chose to come to DSMJ, out from our comfort zones, to learn how to be better journalists. My semester has just begun, but today, I feel sure that I've made one of the best decisions of my life coming here. I could not be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment