Sunday, May 8, 2011

The list begins

I'm a listmaker, so of course I've started making lists since I arrived in Aarhus. I've been keeping track now of what I miss from home, and then what I love about being here. Both are pretty short now, but here's what I got so far.

I love... Kvickly! As seen in the picture, it's a massive grocery chain here with the cheapest food we've found yet! Ok NOW to the list.
1. The bread and the golden pretzel sign that represents bakeries. Seriously, the bread here has to be the best I've ever tasted.
2. The people are very friendly and so helpful. All you have to do is ask. Most are very reserved, but as soon as you flash a smile and say Hej!, well it's like being in the south again :)

3. Stroopwafels, romboller, gross liquorice, street food, and basically the principle of being introduced to new foods. I appreciate all of them even if I don't like it, which has only happened twice. Once with the liquorice, and once with the first bottle of juice we bought. We had to pour 3/4 water in it to make it taste remotely like juice....very syrupy! Later we found a bottle that said mild.
4. The cobblestone roads. I love them; however, after a long walk it starts to feel like your feet are receiving a deep tissue massage. Once in a while a step can really hurt!
5. All the buildings have so much character.

6. Downtown. I've never really lived in a city before. Being downtown is exciting and always so full of life. I'm not sure if that's how most downtowns are or just this one in particular, but I really do love it at this point in my life.

7. The opportunity. I am so thankful for this experience. I'm learning new things and adapting so quickly each day. I'm feel myself becoming more independent everyday. Being an international student has allowed me a unique opportunity to explore cultures from Denmark, as well as many other countries around the world. For example, I love listening to the sounds of the Singapore girls in the unit above me. They play music all day and sing too really relaxing beats too.

Sure there are going to be luxuries of America that I miss also. So far, the lists seem to be pretty well balanced though.

I miss... not having to wear shower shoes!

1. My car! I love driving my car around town. Not being able to drive and taking the bus or biking everywhere could make for a pretty long, cold February.

2. Diet Sun drop/ Diet Dr. Pepper. I wasn't too surprised by no Diet Sun drop, but I was hoping they'd have the Diet Dr. Pepper. No such luck. It doesn't really matter though. Their cokes taste different anyways. Much sweeter. Diet coke is sweeter than Coke zero here.

3. Warm weather. Granted, it's actually about the same here as it has been at home.... around 32 degrees. But it's starting to warm up at home, and not here. Apparently, February is the coldest month.

4. I miss my friends and family. Keeping a blog, along with Skyping has helped so much though.

5. Not converting money, degrees, wattage, or voltage all the time.

And that's all for the list now. Tomorrow I have to show you my new bike! Took it home today, and I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment