Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Do snow days not exist here??

Woke up this morning feeling sick from all this cold weather. Yeps, definitely under the weather. **yeps** is common danish slang.

Last night was a new accomplishment for me. I was able to find the right bus by myself, and the connecting one to get to where I was going all by myself in the middle of a snow storm. Thank God for my eskimo jacket. Once I arrived, Kai, Bart & Anouk treated me to Dutch pancakes for supper. They made bacon, cheese, apple, and then regular ones. It looked pretty simple to me. Throw whatever you want in your pancake on the skillet, pour the batter over it. Then, flip. The bacon one was very good, I highly recommend you try it!

Then, off to the Studenthouse party where Kai and I were supposed to meet everyone. Apparently, they were scared off by the snow though. So we stayed for a while and then, off to my next challenge.... catching the new set of buses home. Luckily, I ran into my bus friend from Italy at the party. She told me what to do and pointed me in the right direction. So, we're back in the sideways snow, which is now half way up my shins. I make it off the first bus ok. Waiting at the next stop was brutal. It was a 15 min. wait that felt like an hour. I made a new friend while waiting though. Nick goes to Bloomington in Indiana and he's in Aarhus getting his masters in religous studies and theory. He was nice enough to take bus 14 with me and walk me home through the forest. 14 is closer than 15, but I never take it at night because I hate walking it alone. You have to walk through a dark tunnel also. In the snow... well that was a funny sight too. So, we get off the bus at Skjoldhoj and I start running home.... had to pee! I stopped in our grocery/bar area but the snow was so high I missed the door step up and did a sort of dance slide on my knees into the hallway. No one saw :P

Now, I wake up and the whole entire dorm complex is covered!! It comes up to my knees in some areas, but Danes aren't stopped by the snow like Tennesseans. The buses still run, cars still drive, and would you believe the bikers still bike!! They are hard core. I'm so glad I bought a bus pass for February. It really was fascinating to see so much activity and bustling around on such a snowy day. Usually, I think of hot chocolate, a warm blanket, and a fire place on snow days.... maybe the occasional snowman building or snowball fight. But it was like any other day for the Danes. I will have to keep getting adjusted to this Scandinavian weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment