Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I have something to show you"

So, let's start from the beginning of this amazing 10 day Greek Getaway. Nicole flew in a day or two earlier while Katie and I were having a 2 day layover in Oslo before flying in to Kos Island. The layover was so fun though! I had my first couch surfing experience, and it was definitely successful! Iman was very kind to us. While we were in Oslo, there was a really interesting religious celebration going on. I feel bad, but I've already forgotten which religion it was, but anyways we ended up eating Indian food and walking around the city of Oslo with turbans on our heads! (which are now Katie and I's very fashionable Scandinavian scarves... they are miles long)
So we arrived in Kos to see this! A beautiful harbor on the very blue Mediterranean surrounded by the friendliest, most people-pleasing people I have ever met. I say that I fell in love with Italy as a whole country... I was captivated by the beautiful architecture and weather in Barcelona... well, for Greece, it was the people that won me over. There was no language barrier whatsoever, and they all just really wanted to make you happy. This was the first trip where I had such a great opportunity to talk with the locals and get a better feel for their culture...especially since it was Easter. The Greek Orthodox church has such a big celebration for Easter, but we'll get to that story later...

The fun thing that comes with island hopping in Greece is the looong ferry rides! **sarcasm** We really only had one bad one ... 15 hours! So from Kos we took a ferry to Santorini. Unfortunately, we didn't have the best weather. But that didn't stop us from climbing a volcano in the pouring rain! Katie was the bravest of us all and jumped in the hot springs that were more like lukewarm springs. But despite the rain, Santorini was still just as beautiful as it was in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with its white buildings lined up along the cliffs, all with blue rooftops. It was amazing to see, and the sunset wasn't bad either!

We landed in Rhodes really late at night. It was such a nice feeling! One, because we were finally off that ferry and two because we entered the town from behind castle walls. It's called Old Town, and well, I could see why. Nothing was new about it. Everything looked Medieval. I think the rain's drizzle added to this feeling even more.

So after seeing all three islands we returned to Kos the day before Easter. It was funny, but when I stepped off that boat I felt like I was finally home in my home away from home away from home. The staff at Astron Hotel treated us like family. Maybe that is why. Everyone in town seemed to know us too. They always remembered us. I think Nicole with her flaming red hair and strong Aussie accent is hard to forget. So we were easily recognizable as the blonde southern girl, redheaded aussie and the american with all those cameras! Katie is never without her Holga and her big SLR.

Most shops were closed this day. However, I was able to walk in and get a haircut for 15Euro. The cheapest I've found in Denmark has been for 180 kr... so I've managed to put it off for a long time... too long apparently. It was one of those moments where the hair dresser says, "Oh no, how long has it been!" When I replied November, he shook his head and told me he was glad I found him...as was I.

After this haircut we asked some of the locals where the best spot to eat was for real Greek...not so tourist food/restaurant. So, we found this place out of the main area tucked around a corner, very cute, and very much not open. So, we walked across the street to an equally authentic Greek looking place. We enjoyed our Greek salads, dishes I can't pronounce and some Baclava. I got up at one point to use the restroom when the chef hollers at me to come here. He had something to show me. So I followed the owner into the back of the kitchen. There his wife was smiling so big at me. Then I looked at what was beside her, a skinned lamb, on a stake, eyes-wide-open, tongue hanging out... needless to say it wasn't what I was expecting to see. On the other hand, I had no idea what to expect!

She says, "See! Tonight at midnight we will have ripped out its intestines and coiled them in this skin to eat! We have been fasting 40 days. Tonight we celebrate in the square. You must come and try this!" She is so eager and proud. It was my favorite moment of the entire trip, standing there in the back of a small local kitchen with a dead lamb that meant so much to these people.

I loved the way people on these islands would talk to everyone like they were your family. It felt like home to me. I'd been getting homesick on this trip. I think between sending postcards, not talking to my family for 10 days, and having that sense of family present, it just really poked at me. But I am fine now :)
My one purchase to make my airport stay more comfy on Easter :)

We returned to the Oslo airport Easter Sunday. I spent my first night in an airport. I was glad Katie was with me though. We had a good time talking, people watching.. Oh! and I finally read Eat Pray Love. It was a great book, but she is so happy I got a little sick of it while being stranded in the airport for close to 24 hrs.

I have so much more to say that I've been thinking here lately about what I've learned and how I've been changing while studying abroad, but I feel I should break this up into more than one post. I miss my friends and family. Feel free to Skype me anytime or Facebook or email... even snail mail if you want. However, stamps in Denmark are close to 2 bucks. It's outrageous. I can't say enough how grateful I am to have this opportunity and family and friends that have supported me along my journey.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment