Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I think I might be growing up

I'm still very sure of myself when I say that studying abroad has been the best decision I've made in college. Not only am I being exposed to the Danish culture, but I've seen differences in all sorts of cultures in my international class. I've also been able to grow as an individual. Being away from home and out of my comfort zone for some time has allowed me to find out a lot about myself that I didn't even know existed. I feel this new confidence, and I've really been able to embrace this whole laid back personality. I think I've learned to just not let my feathers be ruffled so easily. Maybe before, I was a bit sensitive.
I also have cut back on my time spent worrying! I swear I already have worry wrinkles! Before I left for Denmark, I was always worrying about my future and what's going to happen next. See up until now I've had a plan. School, college, RA job, Vol Network job, studying abroad, graduation... and then there is this big giant question mark hanging there. What will my job be? Where will it be? What jobs will I even apply for? What am I going to do to have some money again?

There are still those concerns, but I'm not excessively worrying or stressing anymore. I've learned so much abroad and fine-tuned many of my skills as an editor, producer, reporter, and journalist. I've made so many connections and spent a lot of time networking. I'll have contacts in so many parts of the world now! I am still worried about finding a job, but I know that I have all the skills I need, a drive to learn, good work ethic, and ... well geez! I think now I'll be able to do a really good job selling myself during interviews next year.
I also think I'm developing a mild sense of direction!! I'm looking forward to seeing if I get lost as much when I get back home where people speak my language in a place I am more familiar with. Having to learn how to use the maps (Hard to believe I'm not using the GPS!), and ask for directions constantly, I have actually become more comfortable with being lost. Plus, I've developed a new love of talking to strangers... which might get me in to trouble from time to time, but I'll take the risk.

I used to freak out when I missed my exit on the highway while jamming out to my music. I think it will be different now. I've found some sort of calmness about me, and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe you have to put yourself in uncomfortable or foreign situations sometimes to gain this feeling. But I sure am glad I've found it. I can now relax and be optimistic about my future and whatever it's going to throw at me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment