Friday, January 28, 2011

Life in Notting Hill

Well, I'm actually sitting in Amsterdam Central Station waiting on Robin! It's crazy I can already smell the strong scent of cannabis. I'm really excited to explore the city after what ended up being a 16 hr. bus ride! It was such an interesting experience you see.

The bus ride was going very well right on schedule. We made friends immediately with a Latvian boy and 2 girls from France on their way to Paris. Everything was in order until it was time for them to leave us and swap buses in Hamburg. What was supposed to be a 30 minute break took at least 2 hours!

It sounds like a crazy fib, but I'm not lying, this is the story we were told. Apparently, the Paris, Brussels driver was talking to our driver and said he was going to steal our bus keys. Our driver assumed he was kidding. Well, guess what... he wasn't! That crazy man drove to Paris with our keys! An hour went by and we were still sitting there as our driver and the night driver tried convincing German police ladies to track down that bus. Eventually, they realized the police women had no interest in helping us. So, then the plan was to track down a spare key. 2 hours later, the final decision was made that we would be changing buses.

I'm kind of glad we did. Our new bus was shiny and smelled like leather rather than urine. I'm convinced that urine smell comes from long drives with no rest stops and poor aim. Just my own personal theory.

Anyways, I'll tell you all about Amsterdam later. Let me fill you in on Notting Hill, London!!
Lynne really spoiled Christina, Wendy and I . She lives in a really nice area called Chepstow Villas, which we arrived at around 2am Monday morning. Only we didn't find her house until an hour later. Yep, that's right guess who didn't remember to write down her house number. All I had written was 2nd house to the left, little black iron gate, ring C. Ok do you know how many little black iron gates there are in Notting Hill! We probably woke up a few strangers by dingdong ditching any house with flat c as an option, but we eventually found it and were so relieved to hear her husband Tony's voice.

The next day we explored Notting Hill, Portabello Road, Hyde Park, and went to a show on West End, Les Miserables. The show was amazing! I was so impressed by the set up and elaborate props. You could tell we were a group of producers because the whole time we were so intrigued by how everything was put together.

Tuesday, we checked out East London, the Tower of London, London Eye, Big Ben, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Park, and a lot more things on that sound of town. It was a strange feeling at times when I stood in London, thinking I've been at this exact place before...7 years ago.

That night Lynne and Tony treated us to dinner at the Portabello Organic Kitchen. YUM! Oh and I forgot to mention how much fun we had with their new puppy Coco, a Havanese.

Another funny sight was our sleeping arrangements all 3 of us college girls piled into one huge white bed. It was so comfortable though. I really felt like I was on a cloud each time I plopped down on it after a full day walking.

There's so much more to tell about London, but most stories are better told in person, so if you're curious just ask me when I get home in less than 2 weeks!!

Off to find Robin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment