Thursday, January 20, 2011

Scotland blew me away!

Literally, the wind was extraordinary! Dad and I were walking around the Edinburgh Castle, which we had a postcard view of from our hotel room, and the 30mph winds turned our umbrellas inside out in seconds, breaking one of them.

Once you get used to the crazy weather of strong winds and the switching from sun to rain every 10 min, Scotland is a beautiful area. Yes, I recently learned it is not a country :) Apparently, Coach Crutchfield didn't get much learning out of me during 9th grade geography. **Side Note** I'm really going to miss the way a lot of Europeans will say things like, "The teacher learned us a new technique today." Apparently, the word "teach" is getting lost in translation. Another funny thing is the word "lengthen". Some choose to say "longer it". Hey, I understand it; I guess really that's all that matters. It's funny how many times you don't need to understand someone's language to be able to understand.

Back to Scotland... There are kilts, cashmere, and Loch Ness Monsters being sold in every tourist shop. There is the occasional man or boy dressed up in full Scottish attire playing bagpipes on the street, lots of cobblestone, and pretty European buildings full of character.

The last day in Scotland, we took a train ride out to St. Andrews, the birthplace of golf and home to the university where Prince William met Kate. I liked it here because it was definitely not as big of a tourist destination, well besides for golfers. I also decided I'm going to spend my last semester of college at St. Andrews University, for the atmosphere of course.

Overall, Scotland reminded me a lot of Tennessee with all of its green hills and farmland. It was a very nice transition trip for me with English and all. We flew into Billund Tuesday and decided to do a very American thing. LEGOLAND! It was a bit sad actually to think that this is a major theme park for Europeans and the rollercoaster rides are so small in comparison to Six Flags, Cedar Pt. Universal, Disney... But it was still a great day. I was amazed at the Legos. They even created Mt. Rushmore and the U.S. Capitol!

No comments:

Post a Comment